Fighting Fire

 This chilly weekend we decided to light a fire in the fireplace and this provided a great opportunity for me to experiment with my camera in an indoor setting.  I really liked the idea of trying to get good shots of fire, but fire doesn't cooperate!

It was still a great learning opportunity and warm unlike the outdoors.

I took photos at all stages of the fire from the initial lighting through the end when it was starting to die down. 

I tried auto settings, Scene, Aperture priority and ART settings. The challenges included:

 Focus 

With moving flames I found my camera's auto focus kept trying to focus on the logs rather than the flames or the back of the firebox. 

Sharpness

When I did get it to focus on the flames, they were fluid and interesting but often not as sharp as what I was seeing with my eyes. Some of the settings that did add sharpness sacrificed color intensity in the flames.

Composition

I found I was focusing my attention on so many things that I forgot to think about composition. Thankfully, cropping later can fix some of that so this, for now, is something for improvement later. 

Below are samples of the day.

ISO = 500,  F5.0,  28 mm

ISO 2500,  F4.6,  66mm

 ISO 5000,  F5.6,  42mm

And just to show what it actually looked like, here is a slo-mo video




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where I started